Thursday, March 01, 2012

Tag it


I have tags!!


I have been using printed cotton from Spoonflower, but alas I ran out last week. Time to start making my own. I knew what I wanted – Soft cotton so it won't itch. Super durable. Fulfills industry clothing content and care instructions. My problem was how to execute it. After trying a few different options (freezer paper, ribbon, 1 tag or two) I started to struggle. I just could not figure out how to do what I wanted. A few nights ago, while laying in bed (see: trying unsuccessfully to quiet the brain) I figured out exactly what I wanted.


What is it? Twill tape!

I printed my labels on transfer paper, then ironed them on to 1/2" 100% cotton twill tape. I then folded under the sides when sewing it on.

The best part is this – see on the right side there where the fabric content is? Well the underside of that part of the tag has the care instructions! I am really quite proud of figuring that out. Silly, I know, but since I sew these into every garment I make (and right now, gearing up for market, I'm making a lot) they really needed to be simple.

What silly thing have you struggled with?

 

 

 

No comments: